The brush makers workshop, an experiment.

32t

Member
You guys make me feel lucky.

One time I was preparing Pinnekjøtt for dinner and when my wife walked in all she said is who is boiling a deer head.

Nothing else!
 

Bruno

Administrator
Staff member
During the renovation project, I did HT in the garage and didn't think about the lack of door to the kitchen. The kitchen smelt like burnt oil. After a brief moment of existential dread, I poured a pint of pine smell detergent in a bucket of water and mopped the kitchen, twice. Place was smelling like a forest. I never mentioned why I mopped the floor. Just said I thought there was a lot of dust so I wanted to clean up the place. Got bonus points for that.
 

verndahl

AKA tintin
Update so far; I found that leather doesnt drill well with a Forstner bit so i ended up boring the hole for the knot cup on the lathe.
Most of the stack was stuck together after the soak and bake method so i didn't pull it apart when i soaked it in hide glue.The penetration wasn't that great so i had some seperation. On top of that i bored too deep and need to replace the bottom three layers. this time i will soak them individually.
1602

here is a picture of the knot cup. only the top ring will be exposed when it's done.
1603
 

verndahl

AKA tintin
When they do them on knives I think that they slide them on the tang and then screw on the butt cap to hold it all together. that is my aim here though it makes a different kind of challenge since i am making it more difficult on myself by having a hole for the knot cup(it would be easier to have the cup just squeezing from the opposite end of the butt cap like a knife) and also turning in on the lathe. I think i have that part figured out.(but we'll see).
 
Last edited:

verndahl

AKA tintin
Well, got it done and i'm prety pleased. After getting the leather re'glued i mounted it all to my hillbilly brush turning mandrel. It has worked prety well for me. It is simply a dowel-mandrel that i have attached and turned true on my face plate. It has a hole drilled all the way through into which i put a bolt that in turn is threaded to my handle.(the mandrel is sized to the size of brush knot i am using). Any slop in the mandrel is filled with painters tape to keep everything as true as possible. I turned a nut to fit the bottom end of the brush so that i could use the tailstock to help support the brush and keep things as straight as possible.
1609

1610

1611

Not the final knot i hope to use (wanting a extra high density fan knot from Maggards!) but it's all i had on hand.
Stay tuned to the brushmakers workshop when next time i hope to demonstrate my home made fluting tool! (but first some time in the smithy!)
Oh, i forgot to mention that i finished the handle with several coats of CA.
 

Bruno

Administrator
Staff member
Wow that looks really good. Don't worry about perfect. I've never made a perfect razor. There's always something i think could have been better. Keep focusing on improving for the next one instead of trying to perfect 'this one'
 
Top